Snyder & Fancher Wholesale Grocers
Duluth Imperial Flour
A Short Corporate History Behind the Altec Name:
The Altec and Altec Lansing names have been with us since the mid 1930s.
pre-1924: Western Electric established an engineering group in Chicago, IL to research amplifiers and loudspeakers.
1924: This engineering group was moved to Bell Laboratories in Manhattan, NY.
1928: Western Electric formed Electric Research Products, Inc. (ERPI) to manufacture, install, and service talking picture systems in studios and theatres.
c1936: Western Electric is ordered to divest itself of ERPI. ERPI management founds the Altec (All Technical Services) Service Company. The University Loudspeaker Company is founded in New York to manufacturer loudspeakers and components.
1941: Altec Service Company acquires the Lansing Manufacturing Company and changes its name to Altec Lansing Corporation.
1947: Altec Lansing Corporation acquires Peerless Electrical Products Company.
1949: Altec Lansing Corporation acquires Western Electric Sound Products Division and begins producing Western Electric product lines.
1954: Altec Lansing Corporation founds Newpaths, Inc. to build theatre stereo equipment.
1956: First public trading of Altec’s stock.(? Altec Companies, Inc.)
1959: Ling Electronics, Inc. merges with Altec Companies, Inc. The new company is named Ling-Altec Electronics, Inc. University Sound Products acquired by LTV.
1960: Ling-Altec Electronics, Inc. merges with Dallas, TX based Temco Electronics and Missile Co. to become Ling-Temco Electronics, Inc.
Aug. 1961: Ling-Temco Electronics, Inc. merges with Chance Vought Aircraft of Dallas, TX (the nation’s second oldest continuous producer of military aircraft, founded in 1917) and the name is changed to Ling-Temco-Vought Inc.
1964: While maintaining a majority interest, James Ling started a holding company that established three public companies from his existing operations; LTV Aerospace Corp., LTV Ling Altec, Inc. and LTV Electrosystems (later E-Systems).
1971: Ling-Temco-Vought Inc. spins-off LTV Ling Altec, Inc. The new public company is called the Altec Corporation.
Apr. 1972: Ling-Temco-Vought, Inc., the holding company, becomes the LTV Corporation.
1984: Altec Corporation moves all operations to Oklahoma City, OK while trying to emerge from bankruptcy.
1985: Gulton Industries purchases the assets of Altec Corporation, and renames the company Altec Lansing Corporation.
1986: Gulton Industries is acquired by Mark IV Industries of Buffalo, NY.
1986: Altec Lansing Consumer Products is established in Milford, PA to design, engineer and introduce a new line of home and car high fidelity loudspeakers.
1997: Mark IV Industries announces its intention to sell the Audio Group, including Altec Lansing Corporation.
1998: Greenwich Street Capital Partners of New York City purchases the Mark IV Audio Group, and renames the collected companies the EVI Audio Group. Altec Lansing Corporation becomes a nonentity.
1999: Telex Communications (another Greenwich holding) is merged with the EVI Audio Group.
2000: Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc. of Milford, PA purchases from Telex Communications the worldwide rights to the Altec Lansing brand names and associated trademarks; Altec, Altec Lansing, Lansing, Voice of the Theatre, Voice of the Highway and Duplex.
2002: Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc. launches professional division; Altec Lansing Professional.